Subject: Gigantic hobbyist cluster opportunity :-) (fwd)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.club.cc.cmu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/12/2004 13:41:29
wow!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:56:49 -0700
From: Alan Frisbie <Usenet01REMOVE@Flying-Disk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms, comp.sys.dec
Subject: Gigantic hobbyist cluster opportunity   :-)

I was just doing my morning scan of upcoming Ebay auctions of
DEC-related stuff and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1247&item=4128752485

It is enough to make me drool!   Four 1980's vintage VAXes, still
working in a cluster.   As of this time, there are no bids and the
minimum is only $500.   Here is the auction description:

Ends May-12-04 12:36:12 PDT

  VAST QUANITY OF VAX GEAR! All installed at ROOSEVELT OKLAHOMA ALL WORKING!
   1. MAYBE LAST VAX 11/785 still working 32MB CI780 and Unibus has 4 x Eagle
      drives, RA 81 and TU80 VMS 4.7 and 5.5.
   2. VAX 8250 16MB CI
   3. VAX 8530 32MB CI and Unibus + Console
   4. VAX 8700 64MB CI and Unibus + Console
   5. HSC50 Cluster with 2 x TA78 and 12 x RA81 RA90
   6. Cluster is common boot VMS 5.5
   7. 3 x LP25 printers.
   8. Power Distribution Unit
   9. Spare 8250, TU/TA 78 master/slave, PDU and 8300
  10. 2 spare 785 CPU, FP and memory cards + backplanes.
  11. All sorts of DECSERVERS and networking gear.
  12. VT 220s, VT 240s MV3100 and some VT 100s.
  13. Manuals for all hardware, VMS 4.7 and 5.5.
  14. Software licences for all hardware and VMS, DECNET, Cluster,
      Fortran, Basic, ADA, Cobol and all the distribution tapes.

  Can disconnect and prepare to ship - this is alot of gear
  (about 40' van load), Purchaser responsible to final pack and remove.
  Preference to go to a good home - otherwise theres over $2,000 scrap
  gold in these machines. Can be shown fully working.

I would really hate to see these machines scrapped, but I simply
don't have room for even one of them.   I hope that someone here
will save them from the salvage yard.

Alan