Subject: vs3100/3x SCSI broken in 2.0_BETA?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Tom G. Christensen <tom.christensen@get2net.dk>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/24/2004 21:02:01
Hi,

I just attempted to upgrade a vs3100/30 from 1.6.1 to 2.0_BETA
but the install kernel crashes as soon as it touches the disks.
Initial probing during bootup is okay but when the installer goes to
checkout the filesystem to prepare an upgrade the kernel crashes.

Also sometimes the kernel marks the disks as offline during
probing and the installer then can't find any disks.

The vs3100/30 has an RZ23 disk and currently runs NetBSD 1.6.1 just fine.
Thinking that the disk might be the problem I dug out a vs3100/38
with an IBM DSAS3540 and a Quantum LPS270S.
It has OpenVMS 7.2 on the IBM drive and some old NetBSD 1.4-current
snapshot on the Quantum. Both runs fine.
Unfortunately it shows exactly the same problems with the 2.0_BETA
install kernel.

Has anybody else seen this?

Also it seems that the 2.0 branch in currently broken for vax. It
generated some 'static follows non-static' warnings for a number
of functions in machine/macros.h (ffs, _remque, _insque and more)
which caused the compilation to fail because of -Werror.
Setting NOGCCERROR=1 allowed the build to finish.

I cross-built the snapshot on a machine running Linux (Fedora Core 1)
using sources checked out from anoncvs.netbsd.org this afternoon.

-tgc

--
Tom G. Christensen - Email: tom.christensen@get2net.dk
Homepage: http://hjem.get2net.dk/tgc