Subject: Re: Which MOP booter can load a 1.6.x kernel?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/10/2004 09:52:39
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Arno Griffioen <arno@attic.nerdnet.nl> wrote:
> > try 1.5.2 or 1.5.1.. or even 1.5.. I know _one_ of the 1.5's booted a
> > 1.6.1 kernel just fine for me.
>
> Yup.. Works now! Thanx..
>
> 1.6.2 doesn't work (kernel boots, but never starts sysinst) and I have
> to remmeber not to interrupt the 5 second countdown in the bootloader.
> (otherwise it will complain about the 'inappropriate filetype'..)

The MOP module is a long-standing problem, stemming AIUI from the
conversion to ELF.  At various times in the past it's been claimed vaguely
to have been fixed, but yet it persists.

Is the problem well enough understood that someone could describe here
what exactly is broken and what exactly should be done?  If the problem is
indeed elf-related, is there any reason the build process couldn't render
an a.out version instead?

--jkl