Subject: Re: Vaxstation 4000/60 LCG and keyboard, progress report & help
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/09/2004 22:34:08
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Blaz Antonic wrote:

> 2: Which palette should i set as default ? I extracted 256-color palette
> (from 18-bit color space) from my PeeCee VGA and extrapolated the values
> into 24-bit color space. Would that be the best palette to use ? If so,
> what should i do with last 8 entries ? They are set to black (0, 0, 0)
> on VGA, should i leave them at black ?

  Now that I've had time to play with the LCG driver on a 4000/VLC, I can
offer my opinion on the default color palette.

  The wsdisplay code only uses 8 colors (at least in the VT100 emulation),
so I don't see any point in setting up any more than the 8 basic VGA
colors.  Any other application accessing the display directly (i.e. an X
server) will very likely control the color palette completely.

  The version of lcg.c I'm running initializes the first 8 entries in the
LUT with the basic VGA colors.  I've added the get/put cmap entries to the
ioctl function which will get or set the cmap entries (and the LUT).  This
provides the capability for an X server to set any LUT entry to whatever
color it desires.  [I notice that I don't reset the default LUT values
when switching from MAPPED mode to EMUL mode, but that's trivial to add].
I've also added some support for setting the foreground/background colors,
which is controlled by ANSI escape sequences in the vt100 emulation.

  I've also got a 4000/60 with a 4 bitplane display that I'm trying to
make work.  The detection of the 4 bitplane display isn't working yet, and
I have some trouble dealing with the colors still that I haven't tracked
down yet.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant