Subject: Re: Ultrix 4.2 Source Code!
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/05/2004 10:11:39
Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Wai-Sun Chia wrote:
>

>>Whoa People!
>>Do y'all realize that source code of Ultrix 4.2 is on the 'Net and
>>downloadable!!!
>

> Yes. It's been around for quite a while...
>

>>Go and get it before someone shuts it down!
>>
>>ftp://ifctfvax.harhan.org/pub/UNIX/thirdparty/Ultrix-32/sources/
>

> Oh ho ho. That's sokolov's site. He will probably not shut it down until
> hell freezes over.
>
> But it's of limited use for the NetBSD community until we can legally use
> it.

What is the legal status of Ultrix? I was interested in installing it on
a VaxStation just to see what DEC's own Unix-on-Vax was like, but I have
been unable to get hold of an original CD-ROM. I asked around at a few
former DEC using companies, but all they ever seem to have are large
amounts of VMS stuff. Am I correct in thinking I would be breaking both
DEC and USL's copyrights if I downloaded Ultrix stuff off of the web?

Chris
--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)
chris.wareham@btopenworld.com (home)