Subject: Re: LCG & 4k m60/VLC keyboard issues
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/04/2004 13:08:46
Hello,

> I wonder how to switch virtual consoles ... i think i have 8 set up, i'd
> like to access all 8 :-)

Like Michael said, it takes combination of Do+Fn (Fn = one of F1..F8) to
switch console. I can switch and login on any of the 8 consoles. I have
also fixed two bugs with software cursor (the one leaving cursor "trail"
and the one positioning cursor incorrectly). All i need now is font .h
file from der Mouse and some clues as to what it takes to provide X
server interface via wscons in order to finish it. *mmap() is already in
place, i just don't know whether that's all that is needed or not.

One of those two bugs is a result of making the code more readable,
using as few hard-coded values as possible (such as font size, etc.).
smg/lcspx will run into same problem if anybody tries to add support for
different font (other than currently used 8x15) and avoid hardcoding the
relevant values. The problem lies in *ADDR macro which doesn't have ()
in expanded form around col, row etc., multiplication takes precedence
and results in incorrect offset.

There is also one slight problem with console switching, i guess it's
due to termcap settings  or something - if i press Do key and hold it
down fora short while it displays some unwanted codes on the screen at
login prompt (resulting in a beep in shell). Does the keyboard code need
fixing or is this merely a termcap issue ?

Also, one last thing: if i was to add hardware cursor support i'd have
to allocate a 1k block of memory for cursor sprite, but not framebuffer
memory. Is there something like a pointer to end of used physical system
memory in NetBSD//vax, so i could allocate two contiguous pages without
making memory holes in contiguous memory ? Something like heap pointer ?
It has to be two consecutive pages aligned at 1k boundry in this case
due to HW implementation. Any suggestions ?

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!