Subject: Re: VS 4k VLC keyboard problem
To: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/03/2004 07:15:16
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Blaz Antonic wrote:

> How can i verify whether lcgcnprobe has been called at all (without
> using global variable to be set in lcgcnprobe and its contents printed
> out afterwards, when DZ console is already working ... this woudl be
> sooo kludgy) ?

  If you just want to know if it's called, I don't know how else you could
tell.  When lcgscnprobe() is called, it it either going to exit
immediately if the console is on the serial port, or else it is going to
to set up access to the framebuffer and registers and set the console
device to use wsdisplay.  (The dzcnprobe() does a similar thing, only
setting the console device to be the serial line for the diagnostic
console).

  Your lcg.c has a bug in lcgcnprobe() - it's checking the wrong bit in
vax_confdata;  it's 0x100 on the 4000/VLC and 4000/60, not 0x8 (that's for
the 4000/90).

  Also, the lcg stuff is already present in the -current files.vax, along
with the needs-flag.

> Anyway, seeing Michaels comment the other day (about DZ ports used for
> LK keyboard, depending on position of S3 switch) i was thinking changing
> where lkkbd is attached might solve the problem. Can anybody confirm
> which serial port (starting with 0) it is that keyboard is connected to
> when in serial console mode (so i can avoid data getting dumped into
> keyboard when it's set as line 0) ? If it is port 3 should this get it
> working in kernel config file:
>
> lkkbd0	at dz0 line 3
>
> ? It's set to line 0 in GENERIC config file. I haven't tried it out yet,
> just asking ahead of time when i find it doesn't work :-)

  The keyboard is on line 0, the serial port for the diagnostic console is
on line 3.  [See dzcnprobe().]

  On another note, if the console is on the serial port, the wskbd and
wsdisplay devices don't seem to get connected.  I tracked down the path of
incoming keyboard data and found that there was no display device
associated with the wskbd device, and the input data was just ignored.  I
was able to make this work by adding the wsmux pseudo-device to the kernel
config.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant