Subject: Re: vs4k60 font
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/2004 12:52:49
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, der Mouse wrote:

> I have two fonts, actually.  The first one is the font as found in the
> ROM; the second is the same thing after I touched it up.  The font in
> the ROM is an almost-8859-1 font; it looks as though it is based on an
> old draft of 8859-1 or some such.  I moved a few characters around and
> created some missing characters to make it fully 8859-1; I also added
> some of the most useful of the VT100 graphics characters in the low 32
> codes (which 8859-1 doesn't provide glyphs for).

That should be the DEC Supplemental Graphics Set. It predates Latin-1. I
don't know, but it looks like Latin-1 was somewhat based on the DEC
Supplemental Graphics Set, but with some modifications, as you have noted.
Newer terminals (VT320 and newer) had the option of selecting between DEC
Supplemental and Latin-1.

The VT100 graphics is yet another font. It's the DEC Special Graphic
Character Set.

All of these are normally selected as different fonts using the escape
sequences dedicated to them.
xterm support some of this.

Nice work anyhow.

	Johnny