Subject: VS 4k 7930 audio progress report
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/15/2004 18:52:57
Hello,

wskbd0 at lkkbd0 (mux ignored)
lkms0 at dz0
wsmouse0 at lkms0 (mux ignored)
lcg0 at vsbus0 csr 0x21801000 vec 440 ipl 15 maskbit 2
wsdisplay0 at lcg0 (kbdmux ignored)
wsdisplay0: screen 0-7 added (160x68, vt100 emulation)
vs4kaud0 at vsbus0 csr 0x200d0000 vec 304 ipl 15 maskbit 6
audio0 at vs4kaud0: full duplex
asc0 at vsbus0 csr 0x200c0080 vec 774 ipl 15 maskbit 0
asc0: NCR53C94, 25MHz, SCSI ID 6
scsibus0 at asc0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target

This is part of dmesg of my most recent kernel which got MI am7930 to
partially cooperate with me. Interrupt vector is correct (add 0x200
offset which for reason unknown to me is subtracted from actual
interrupt number on NetBSD/Vax) and is generated by the chip itself
after feeding it to much input :-) audio (dev/audio.c) also appears to
attach fine on top of everything but that's where the positive things
end.

Invoking audioctl/mixerctl or doing cat file.au > /dev/audio0 will
produce Device not configured message. Doing cat file.au > /dev/sound0
will not produce anything (error message or noise, not even debug
messages from the driver). All MI code does is chip (re)set. SOmething
at the higher levels apparently decides it'd rather not work for me and
therefore refuses any input. I wonder why it claims to have attached
itself to MD code then )_(*&@) [#-$( )* ;"!$ ?!

I suspect i got the /dev entries wrong or something. I stole a part of
MAKEDEV script from some other architecture (sparc i believe) and
created /dev/audio0 (69,128), /dev/audioctl0 (69,192), /dev/mixer0
(69,16) and /dev/sound0 (69,0). BTW, those zeroes are appended because
audioctl et al seem to expect the names of this kind, not sure if that
is correct or not.

Anyway, if anybody (of all three of you who actually follow the mailing
list) happens to have a suggestion as to how to fix this i'm all ears.

Offtopic: due to lack of replies i'll assume everybody is fine and dandy
with my palette and font choices for LCG. I should have finished LCG
driver (lovely palette, built-in system fonts for 80x42 cell display, no
autores detection due to insufficient information) avaliable in a couple
of days. J. Kunz suggested i find somebody who can commit the files and
changes to -current tree. Any takers ? Somebody with -current tree
locally to mess with (so he can verify everything compiles etc.) and VS
4k VLC or m60 if at all possible, please :)

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!