Subject: Re: Vaxstation 4000/60 LCG and keyboard, progress report & help needed
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/2004 12:19:36
Hello,

I'm still trying to catch up with amazing number of repleis i got ...
not. One person asked for source so they could try it out on their VLC
and that's it. Either nobody has LCG-based graphcis Vaxstation (4000 VLC
or m60) or they don't give poo about it.

Despite the obvious risk of getting whole 0 answers (again) i have yet
another coupel of questions:

1: What do i have to do to get my code comitted into NetBSD source tree
? Like i said in my previous post to the list the code is for 1.6 kernel
but has 1.6.1isms already in place, just commented out (so it can be
used on 1.6.1 in a matter of seconds). Since it's not final version yet
i'm not sure whether posting it on the mailing list makes sense.

In addition to functionality i had two days ago i also got color LUT to
reload, meaning i can enter any colors from the 24-bit color space into
8-bit RAMDAC palette. While useless for B/W console this would
undoubtedly be useful for X, especially since default DEC palette
(hardwired it seems) is a big pile of poo, with many colors repeating,
like half of the spctrum missing (especially in orange/brown part) etc.
This prompts my second question:

2: Which palette should i set as default ? I extracted 256-color palette
(from 18-bit color space) from my PeeCee VGA and extrapolated the values
into 24-bit color space. Would that be the best palette to use ? If so,
what should i do with last 8 entries ? They are set to black (0, 0, 0)
on VGA, should i leave them at black ?

VGA palette is a set of 8 basic colors, same 8 colors in lighter
version, 16 geryscale tones and 216 colors (6*6*6), followed by 8 black.
Using same palette here would mean that any (portable x86-home) software
relying on default color settings would also work on LCG without
modifications. I'm not sure how curses et al work but if they rely on
default settings that'd be the way to go IMHO. Palette can be altered
later anyway (i have yet to find the ioctl to do that but when i do it's
easy to add). I can't think of any reason for using non-standard
palette.

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!