Subject: RE: VAX 4000 for sale in .au
To: 'Andy Farkas' <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Antonio Carlini <arcarlini@iee.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/2004 19:05:03
> Can anyone identify this beast?
>
> Might be worth saving for $50...
Based on the picture it's a VAX 4000 machine, but it could
be *any* of the -300, -400,-500,-600 or -70x variants. To know
which, you'd have to either boot and look at the console
or peek inside.

There seem to be a few CXY08s (RS232 comms lines) and an
extra ethernet adapter, plus something else. I'm not
convinced they have the part numbers in the right order.

Well worth $50 I would have thought (assuming you can
pick it up).

If it turns out to be the VAX 4000-300 (the first and
slowest of the range, but still a neat beast) you can
upgrade to the later ones by swapping memory and cpu,
as long as the backplane is late enough (depends on
the serial number, which you can find on the net somewhere).

There is a slight possibility that this is a VAX 4000-200
in one of the BA4xx boxes, but I don't think that's the
case here because of the CPU panel. I think the VAX 4000-200
one was different, but I never saw one up close, so
I cannot be absolutley sure.

Antonio

--

Antonio Carlini             arcarlini@iee.org