Subject: RE: Found DEC branded AU, need specs
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Antonio Carlini <arcarlini@iee.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/19/2004 22:20:47
> And that one, that DESTA device, is what I have here. Which
> is why I started this thread. By the way, der Mouse, do you
> have anything resembling documentation on it?

What documentation would you want? You connect from the back
of your host to the D connector on the DESTA with an AUI cable
and you connect the BNC side to your thinwire network using
the usual T-piece. If cabling constraints and clearances
permit, I believe you can directly attach the DESTA to your
host and skip the AUI cable altogether.

There may be a green LED on it that lights when the DESTA
receives power through the host (not through the thinwire).

I expect that there did exist documentation for it.

> It seems that even though I know enough about Ethernet, and
> something about the AUI concept, courtesy the book by
> Spurgeon on the Ethernet concepts, that's the one bit of
> documentation I don't have. As for cables, if you don't need
> them, I would also be glad to take them off your hands. We've
> got a project starting in about a week, that's based on the
> AUI, and we've only got two of them. We need about six.
> (Those AUI devices by the way, aren't from DEC, they're from another
> company.)

I'm unclear what you mean by AUI here. There's the host card and
its cab kit (the back panel on the host) that has the D connector.
There's the AUI cable and there's the thing connected to the
other end of the AUI cable which is screwed into the backbone
thickwire - that's the transceiver (I pointed you to a manual
for one variant of those, the H4000).

So if you need a transceiver (or its associated vampire tap
which makes the final connection to the thickwire cable)
you'll have to be more specific. If you had not said "device"
I might have thought you meant the AUI cable itself.

Antonio

--

Antonio Carlini             arcarlini@iee.org