Subject: Re: Found DEC branded AU, need specs
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/18/2004 19:29:27
On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 11:59:22PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> 10Base what? 10Base in itself is just another way of saying it's a normal
> 10 Mbit/s ethernet.
>
> You have 10Base-5, which is the old thickwire, 10Base-2, which is the
> thinwire, and 10Base-T, which is the twisted pair. There are a couple
> more, which I don't remember right now.

10base-FL was fiber optic.

An older version was (as near as I can tell) FOIRL. I've got a box of
15 transcievers AUI<-->FOIRL that I'm having trouble using since I
have no AUI hub (MAU?). (Anyone want to sell me one?)

I have no idea if 10base-FL and FOIRL are interchangable in any
circumstances.

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"