Subject: Re: DECServer 300, revisited
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Stanley Reynolds <stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/03/2004 20:45:48
--- John Klos <john@ziaspace.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got a DECServer 300 as a present (yay!), and
> I'd like to set it up
> as a console server for a number of NetBSD machines.
> I've read what
> threads I've found in the port-vax mailing list
> archives, but while there'
> is discussion about using it in general, there are
> very few actual
> examples of use.
>
> So I'd like to know if someone out there might give
> me a really quick
> HOW-TO on using this. I gather that based on what
> I've read, I will use
> this with standard telnet rather than worrying about
> LAT.
>
> Do I need SH1601ENG.SYS, or is that just if I want
> to use the latest
> firmware?

loaded by mopd

> Is there a manual on the Internet?
>
> What if I don't know / have the original passwords?
> I haven't even plugged
> it in yet...
>
> Finally, is there a definitive answer on how to tell
> the DECServer 300 to
> send a break to the serial console?
change baud rate to slowest supported like 110 baud
connect hit the space bar, change the baud rate back
to normal like 9600 baud, reconnect. this will cause a
framming error same as a break.
I'am using decserver 200 if you turn on the box with
the reset held down it resets to factory defaults.
Using a VXT also loaded from mop to connect to
decserver ports using Lat service set on the serial
ports.

Stanley