Subject: Re: First attempt at a VAX -current build
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/09/2003 23:18:07
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Greg Oster wrote:

> Me too, apparently.  My "boot.mop-1.4X-VS4000" isn't sufficient to
> netboot a new kernel, and the new "boot" file doesn't work either :(
> (And I'm not sure what all is involved in creating a boot.mop-type
> file...)

Since the 1.6 release, the second stage bootloader is being compiled as
an ELF binary instead of as an a.out binary.  Along with that, there was
a change from using mopa.out to convert the bootloader to MOP format to
a new util named mopcopy which is supposed to do the same for a.out and
ELF binaries.  Well, mopcopy is broken, or at least it was the last time
I checked.

So... try the MOP bootloader from 1.5.3:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.3/vax/installation/netboot/boot.mop

> > I'd be curious to know what your results are (and what type of system(s)
> > you're running the binaries on).
>
> 4000/60, but havn't evem lit a new kernel yet.  (I have local disk, but
> I'd prefer to netboot the new kernel first, as it's much easier to
> keep everything "clean" that way..)
>
> But that'll be tomorrow's project...
>
> Later...

The night is still young, my friend!