Subject: Re: Random musings on the relative speed of things
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/09/2003 09:24:26
--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

* Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org> [2003-12-09 01:39:28]:
>=20
> What I'm wondering though is, how long does this sort of compile take
> to run on a more contemporary system?  Only a few seconds?  (That's a
> rhetorical question.)

I've not tried building for VAX yet, but I've built everything bar X for
sparc and dreamcast in just over a couple of hours each, running on an
Athlon 1.1GHz under Linux. I think the kernel part takes only a few
minutes. I'm really impressed with how easy it all is, (once you've got
the knack and provided it works ;-).

I've also not tried this yet, but would using something like ccache
yield any kind of useful speed-up for this?

Matt
--=20
"The way to a man's belief is through confusion and absurdity."

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw--