Subject: Re: Building current...
To: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/04/2003 19:56:41
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Brian Chase wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> > Hi. I promised to build a current snapshot for those who wanted one,
> > but I've hit a snag.
> >
> > My build fails in regress. :-/
>
> Mine too :-| Looking at the top level Makefile, I gathered that one way
> to get around this problem is to rename or remove the regress dir.  I'm
> in the middle of rebuilding with regress renamed to regress.skip.  So
> far so good.

Yes, that is a possible solution. I wonder wether the stage for generating
the tar-balls will be happy, though?

> > And right now I don't want to do an update, since gcc have been
> > upgraded, and appearantly did not work on the vax.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Are you saying that the gcc in -current is broken and/or generates
> broken code for the VAX?  That would suck.

Yes. The upgrade was only a couple of days ago, and a mail was sent about
it.

> I'm also pursuing the alternate path of getting -current running on an
> i386 system for cross-compiling to VAX.  But that won't get around the
> gcc problems if I'm understanding you correctly.

Hmm. I actually already have that. But for this case, I would prefer to
build it natively. (I'm always suspicious about cross-compiles.)

	Johnny