Subject: Re: SHAC DSSI Controller
To: Theo Baumgartner <tbaumgartner@swissonline.ch>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.club.cc.cmu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/01/2003 15:39:21
:-)
this discussion has been had onthe list a few times now..
supporting the chip itself is not too hard. as you discovered, it is
reasonably well documented in terms of how to poke and frob it. however,
the chip itself is just the beginning. we need a real CI implementation to
use it... and that is a lot more involved than bit-banging a chip to get
it to talk to a device. dec put a lot of infrastructure into the dssi
stuff, especially the later stuff, and while lots of infrastructure is
good if youre making essentially mainframes, it is difficult to hack
support for later!

isildur