Subject: Re: DECserver 90TL
To: Charles H. Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/22/2003 00:06:41
[ On Saturday, October 18, 2003 at 19:32:32 (-0400), Charles H. Dickman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: DECserver 90TL
>
> Thanks to a few kind souls, I now have MNENG1.SYS and the DECserver
> works fine. (Its power supply unfortunately doesn't, but I resolved that
> problem also.)

FYI there's some more info on the power supplies here:

	http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/digital_networks_archive/hubs/tips/90stalps.txt
	http://h18003.www1.hp.com/support/digital_networks_archive/hubs/tips/90stalps.txt
	http://h18002.www1.hp.com/support/digital_networks_archive/hubs/tips/90stalps.txt
	http://h18001.www1.hp.com/support/digital_networks_archive/hubs/tips/90stalps.txt

> Looking at the part numbers on the SIMM, my DECserver has 512k.
> Everything I have found talks about 4M as necessary for MNENG2.SYS. I
> tried a couple 4M SIMMs and they didn't work.

They must be full 1MBx36-bit SIMMs of about 80 NS in order to work.

DEC Server 90TL and 900TM 4MB (1MBx36) 72-pin SIMM upgrade details:

	Digital part number:	4A-MS40-WB A01
		replaced by:	20-41141-05

	manufacturer:		SAMSUNG
	mfgr part #:		KMM5361000B2G-8 9347 SEC

In several of my 90TLs I've managed to squeeze in a double-sided SIMM,
e.g. the Digital part # 5021224-01.

> MNENG3.SYS exists... I found it paired with MNENG2.SYS although I don't
> know it's lineage.

The MNENG3.SYS I use with my 90TLs is also called DECserver90TL_V2.2_BL29D-52M

The copy I have appears to be a special build done for someone by
Cabletron.  All I know is it works reasonably well (and one heck of a
lot better than the old 1.0 NAS! :-)

> I have found a copy of the Owner's Manual, and it has been useful. It
> referes to several other manuals that have more detailed information,
> and I have not found those. The online help facilities though have been
> enough to get it working.

The manual you're probably looking for was, until recently, here:

	http://www.dnpg.com/dr/dnas/manuals/MG-DNAS0-00.pdf

Google is still serving up the text and html translations though....

--
						Greg A. Woods