Subject: Re: VS3100 1.6.1 Q's
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/05/2003 10:25:53
On 2003.10.04 19:56 Kevin Ogden wrote:

> I was tempted to upgrade my VS3100 to NetBSD/vax 1.6.1.  I guess I
> have to use the 1.5.3 MOP image right?
Yes.

> Another question, how bad is moving to 1.6.1 from 1.5.3 going to
> affect performance on this crate?
Perhaps it would be even better to run -current. There are some real
improvements in the VM system. I think there is not much difference in
performance from 1.5 to 1.6.

> Another really stupid question, upon boot I noticed it said a had a
> 4-line DZ11 (well a flaky workalike anyway).  I see 2 MMJ jacks, are
> the other 2 lines for the keyboard and mouse I'll probably never get?
Yes. Two lines are needed for keyboard and mouse. I don't know if you
can make them usable as normal serial ports. I have seen a litle box
for the VS2000 to convert the keyboard and mouse ports to terminal
ports, but never heared of somthing like this for a VS3100. (This box
and changeing a jumper maks a MV2000 out of a VS2000.)

> should I get a life and buy a
> microvax and beg/borrow/steal a QBUS MSCP<->SCSI controller?
Well. With a litle bit of luck you can get a MSCP ESDI or SMD
controller and suitable disks.
--

tschüß,
           Jochen