Subject: ra drive syslog error message
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Charles H. Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/14/2003 17:15:42
I have a KA650 processor running NetBSD 1.5.2 generic. The system disk
is an RF71 attached to a KFQSA. It is a mongrel made from various parts
in a BA23 chassis. At regular intervals I get a hard error on the system
console from the RF71. The log file contains the following:

Sep 12 17:58:33 uranus /netbsd: ra0: drive 0 hard error datagram: unit
0: small
disk error, cyl 0: drive error (positioner) (code 11, subcode 3)
Sep 12 21:58:34 uranus /netbsd: ra0: drive 0 hard error datagram: unit
0: small
disk error, cyl 0: drive error (positioner) (code 11, subcode 3)
Sep 13 03:00:03 uranus syslogd: restart
Sep 13 13:00:03 uranus syslogd: restart
Sep 13 13:00:05 uranus syslogd: restart
Sep 13 16:58:39 uranus /netbsd: ra0: drive 0 hard error datagram: unit
0: small
disk error, cyl 0: drive error (positioner) (code 11, subcode 3)
Sep 13 20:00:02 uranus syslogd: restart

The RF71 seems to have a mind of it's own, and shakes, rattles, and
rolls when it sees fit. Is this error an indication of bad things to
come or is it just a message saying things were checked and there were
no errors?

Is there a way to decode the error codes?

-chuck