Subject: Re: Darwin on alpha?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/29/2003 11:28:41
On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 03:28 PM, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>> Please pardon this question, the wife got this mac and it is pretty
>> slick.  I keep looking at that little laptop and thinking the alpha
>> stations should be able to blow this away.  I don't know if I
>> understand enough about macs to ask this correctly, so bear with me
>> or flame me, your call.
>>
>> I am still working with X, not migrated to kde or gnome successfully
>> yet, so the question came to mind: Given a NetBSD base, could a
>> Darwin port be done so that a mac os X gui could run on an alpha with
>> a specific vga card?
>
> Hi Bob,
> Darwin is the BSD base of OSX, but Darwin is not OSX. Darwin compiles
> natively on i386 and on PowerPC. I would imagine that it is 64-bit
> clean given the new G5 PowerMacs (so it should be fairly ready for an
> alpha compile).
>
> But even on PowerPC, if you compile and run Darwin, you don't get the
> Aqua GUI, it will just be "yet another unix", & not OSX. You'd still
> need to run X11 and customize that to suit.

   This is true...but there might be a way to get closer.  Apple's X11
window manager (called "quartz-wm") looks *exactly* like Aqua and
interfaces well with it.  I'm not sure if it can run without Aqua...but
if it can, this might work.  Remember that under X, a window manager is
an X client like any other, and doesn't have to be running on your
local machine.  If you have an OSX machine (a real one) somewhere on
the network, run quartz-wm attaching to your local display under some
other OS.

   I've not tried this, and there are a bunch of things that could go
wrong, but theoretically (if Apple didn't make too many "this will be
running with Aqua" assumptions) this should work.

   If it does...picture a bunch of non-Apple X workstations, with an
Apple Xserve running in the computer room serving up copies of
quartz-wm as the window managers for the workstations.  Neat!  (and I
hope you're not running ethernet, or at least unswitched ethernet!)

          -Dave