Subject: RE: largest disk in a vs4000/90
To: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@psv.nu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/27/2003 14:15:47
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Carl Lowenstein wrote:

> Actual hardware formatting of SCSI drives is something that is usually
> done once per lifetime of the drive, at the factory.  If it is done in
> the field, the formatting is performed by the drive's own firmware.
> All that the controlling computer does is start the format process
> and then wait for it to finish.

Also, not all drives survive a reformat. At least some strange oem seagate
drives fail after a reformat. The explanation I got from seagate was that
the drives stored some information on the platters, and that the
information was overwritten by a low level reformat. Add two bookends to
the collection...

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF