Subject: Re: largest disk in a vs4000/90
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: William Barnett-Lewis <wlewis@mailbag.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/25/2003 21:09:11
Gregg C Levine wrote:
> That being stated, can an IDE/ATA type drive be attached to a VAX, via
> the appropriate after-market board? Or even a non-DEC specified, SCSI
> disk drive, again via an after-market board? Remember, I am normally a
> lurker who typically uses the Intel family of neurotic hardware.

Well, I do know from experiance that every 50 pin narrow drive I ever
plugged into a Vaxstation 4000 90 or VLC just worked. No muss, no fuss.
Some earlier machines did have limitations based on address offsets, but
I never encountered them in the 4000's. OTOH, I have never done much
with NetBSD on them either due to the recently fixed firmware corruption
bug.

As for IDE, there are converter boards out there that will sit between
an IDE drive and a SCSI bus. I considered getting one for my Powerbook
540c (imagine 10gb in a 68040LC Mac... Hah!!), but I have not ever
actually used one.

HTH,

William
relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
Feynman's Appendix to the Rogers Commission Report.