Subject: Re: 1.6.1 compilation problem
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/15/2003 19:21:45
Hello,

> >I can't possibly imagine that nobody has been able to build 1.6.1 VAX
> >kernel on 1.6.1 system so far and seeing how fresh-from-ftp installation
> >doesn't work is very frustrating.
>
> The kernel is usually compiled -mno-asm-pic so that the *Sysmap is allowed.
> Is that being done?

It is most certainly NOT done this way, at least not here (my kernel
tarball came from ftp.netbsd.org). I added this flag in the Makefile and
it seems to work now (it got past subr.S where it failed before). Some
time later i should have a new kernel .. Oh the joys of compiling window
managers from pkgsrc and kernel at the same time :-) Fortunately (thanks
to Anders) this box has 56 MB RAM which is just awesome.

I'm not sure how things work in the NetBSD world but could somebody with
authority over vax branch PLEASE get the kernel Makefile fixed and
binary bootloader from 1.6/1.6.1/whatever future version is going to be
called replaced with a functional one ?  If you insist on distributing
broken stuff for "old" version like 1.6.1 at least correct it in current
(i haven't checked it but considering how transition from 1.6 to 1.6.1
didn't fix the bootloader problem i doubt anybody took care of that fpr
post-1.6.1).

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!