Subject: Re: KFQSA problem
To: M J Dowden <mjdowden@panix.com>
From: Lyle Bickley <lbickley@bickleywest.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/04/2003 09:06:25
--Boundary-00=_Bkh3+MLKBfhZFjK

You have to run the CONFIGURE command from the PROM prompt to find out what
address your KFQSA should be set to.  Then use the attached jumper info to
set the approriate jumpers on you KFQSA.

I've done this on multiple systems w/differenct configs and it works great.

Good luck!

Lyle

--
Lyle Bickley
Bickley Consulting West Inc.

There are three sets of jumpers on the KZQSA:

  1) W1 to W7 select the CSR address; the interrupt vector is programmable,
so there are no jumpers to set it.  Since it sounds like your setup is
fairly simple, I'll guess that your CSR is at or near the default
address and list a few corresponding jumper settings ... if the CSR that
CONFIGURE gives you is not below, you might want to post it, so that one
us can verify the correct jumper settings, just to be on the safe side.

     CSR    W7 W6 W5 W4 W3 W2 W1
    ------  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    761300   0  0  0  1  0  1  1    (default)
    761400   0  0  0  1  1  0  0
    761500   0  0  0  1  1  0  1

But generally, you can work out the jumper settings as follows:  if W7 is
0 (not set), the CSR is 76xy00, but it it is set (1), the CSR is 77xy00;
the octal digit &quot;x&quot; is determined by the settings of W6 to W4, and the
digit &quot;y&quot; is determined by W3 to W1 as illustrated by a few examples:

    760100   0  0  0  0  0  0  1
    760400   0  0  0  0  1  0  0
    761000   0  0  0  1  0  0  0
    764000   0  1  0  0  0  0  0
    770000   1  0  0  0  0  0  0

  2) W9 to W13 determine the memory base address; the default is the
address range 01000000-01377777 for the 128 KB memory on the KZQSA,
for which only W10 is set and the others are not.  You need to
arrange for all modules that use Qbus memory space to have unique
address ranges ... but this is normally not such a problem, since
not so many modules use Qbus memory space.  To see if it is a problem
in your configuration, issue a SHOW QBUS command from the console
prompt (&gt;&gt;&gt;); at the end of the output (after the scan of IO space),
you will find the Scan of Qbus Memory Space, which shows which
address ranges are in use.  If 01000000-01377777 does not overlap
any range currently in use (if any), you have no problem and can
just use the default jumper setting here.

Otherwise, the address selection jumpers just increase the base
address of the KZQSA's 128 KB memory in steps of 128 KB; i.e.,

    address range    W13 W12 W11 W10  W9
  -----------------  --- --- --- --- ---
  00000000-00377777   0   0   0   0   0
  00400000-00777777   0   0   0   0   1
  01000000-01377777   0   0   0   1   0  (default)
  01400000-01777777   0   0   0   1   1
  17400000-17777777   1   1   1   1   1

Also note that W8 is in the same jumper block as W9-W13; I have no
idea what it does, probably best to leave it alone...

  3) W14 to W16 set the SCSI ID of the KZQSA; W14 sets the MSB (4)
and W16 the LSB (1).  The default is 7, which should be OK for most
purposes.

--
Eric Dittman

--Boundary-00=_Bkh3+MLKBfhZFjK--