Subject: Re: VAX 6410 boots!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/21/2003 02:06:25
On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 08:20 PM, Chuck McManis wrote:
> Well after some careful investigation the "mysterious" box turned out
> to be a couple of RAxx drives in the bottom of the VAX. After plugging
> it in and hearing the reassuring "chug chug whoooooooosh" of the
> blower starting up I turned the top key from "Standby" to Enable and
> the system went through self test. Tried booting it and nothing, then
> realized the disks had been spun down, pushed in the 'run' button on
> both drives, tried booting again and voila' a VAX VMS 5.2 banner
> prints and the system (somewhat laboriously) came back to life after
> many years dormant. Now to get the SA700 array up so that all the
> drives it expects to see are on-line, and then some setup work to fix
> up the network code.

   Cool! :-)

   What is your power configuration?  Are you running it on 3-phase, or
did you convert it?

   I sure do like 6000-series machines.  I hope you're able to run yours
from time to time.  Hey, you should get a VAXVector board for it!

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                "They live deeply, these vagabonds."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Goro