Subject: Re: stray interrupt: vector 0x18, ipl 31 on VAX boot
To: Chuck McManis , <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Lyle Bickley <lbickley@bickleywest.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/18/2003 09:36:23
1) You're right, the UC07 does not write any parameters to block 0.  It d=
oes=20
work with CDROM's as well as SCSI HDDs.

In OpenVMS the SCSI drives "look like" DSSI drives.  (That's why I can us=
e a=20
KZQSA with the same physical HDD and/or CDROM and both work the same - ex=
cept=20
that they appear to OpenVMS as SCSI (KZQSA) and alternatively DSSI (UC07)=
=2E =20
Kinda cool, huh? :-)

2) Yup, once I booted the CDROM from the KZQSA I was going to use a SCSI =
HDD=20
attached to the same KZQSA.  Of course, if the KZQSA is not supported, th=
at's=20
not a great thought...

Cheers,
Lyle

On Sunday 18 May 2003 09:18, Chuck McManis wrote:
> I don't believe the UC07 writes any MSCP parameters to the disk so it
> should work. IIRC, some of the earlier CMD SCSI controllers wrote into
> block 0 the parameters that you told it during config. Also the UC07 li=
kes
> to know which SCSI targets are CD-ROMs vs those that are r/w disks but =
> don't believe you have to tell it that.
>
> On an unrelated note, once the CD booted on the KZQSA, were you going t=
> install on to disks also attached to the KZQSA? The DSSI controllers ar=
> not supported.
>
> --Chuck
>
> At 08:50 AM 5/18/2003 -0700, Lyle Bickley wrote:
> >I'll try booting NetBSD with an Emulex UC07 when I get a shot (about a
> >week).
> >Under OpenVMS it will boot the same(!) SCSI disk as will a KZQSA - of
> > course using MSCP as opposed to SCSI.
> >
> >Is it likely to work??
> >
> >Lyle
> >
> >On Sunday 18 May 2003 08:21, Chuck McManis wrote:
> > > Ragge is correct, the KZQSA card is not a supported SCSI adapter un=
der
> > > NetBSD. You need an MSCP emulating SCSI card (or an MSCP emulating =
DSSI
> > > card) to boot NetBSD.
> > >
> > > --Chuck

> >--
> >Lyle Bickley
> >Bickley Consulting West Inc.
> >http://bickleywest.com
> >V 650-428-0621
> >"Black holes are where God is dividing by zero"

--=20