Subject: RE: Network throughput and upgrading kernel questions
To: Antonio Carlini <arcarlini@iee.org>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@psv.nu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/03/2003 11:20:13
On Sat, 3 May 2003, Antonio Carlini wrote:

> Brian Chase wrote:
> > consideration.  The VS3100's firmware is limited to booting
> > from < 1GB drives.  So you'd need an older drive for your
> > system disk.
>
> This is true, and for OpenVMS it really matters, but I
> thought that with NetBSD it was easy to arrange for
> the boot to happen from a partition that lives
> entirely within the 1.073GB limit?

I think (my vms vaxen are in storage) that vms supports larger disks. One
needs to tweak a bit in one of the scsi mode pages for vms to like the
disk though. The auto-remap must be turned off. At least for older
versions of vms.

Hm, from a quick check on google it appears that the limit in early vms
(up to 5.5-2) was 8GB.

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF