Subject: Re: VAX 4000 108... any good for NetBSD
To: None <Robertdkeys@aol.com>
From: Henry R. Bent <hbent@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/26/2003 18:40:08
Robertdkeys@aol.com wrote:

> A friend that is a non-VAX type has a 4000 108 crate that
> might find itself in my VAX stable, with some arm twisting.
> The machine looks more like a PeeCee than a VAX, in its
> minitower box.  But, I understand that current runs on it,
> and that it is relatively fast.  Can anyone explain the pro and
> con of this box for NetBSD use?  Any gotchas one might
> need to be aware of?  Are there any manual pdfs available
> on the net?

100MHz NVAX, 10KB L1, 512KB L2, and you can max it at 512MB of memory.
Certainly nothing to scoff at.  Given that this is an NVAX, though, under NetBSD
it will suffer from the floating-point math problems discussed here a few months
back.  Still, it's fast enough that if you want to do native builds of the
kernel or possibly even a whole release it's definitely feasible.  Throw a big
SCSI disk in there and you've got the potential for a real workhorse.

--
Henry Bent
hbent@cs.oberlin.edu