Subject: VS40X question
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/18/2003 22:10:48
Hi,

Is the VS40X 8-plane colour card for a VAXstation 3100 the same as for a
VAXstation 2000?

The question arises because I've recently acquired a set of boards that
might make a VAXstation 3100 (KA42-A) when put together. I've got the
main board, 4MB and 8MB RAM boards and a VS40X graphics card. There is
no SCSI controller but I can netboot so that's not a problem. With just
the 4MB RAM card attached, it boots NetBSD OK. With the 4MB and 8MB
cards attached, the self-test is OK but NetBSD crashes, so I guess the
8MB card may be faulty. The on-board mono console works but when I
install the VS40X, I get a set of vertical colour bars but no console.
The VS40X has a label attached saying that it is for a VS2000 but from
what I read on the 'net, the VS40X was also used in the VS3100. The
card may simply be faulty but I would like to know if there is any
difference between the 2000 and 3100 versions and if so, how do you
tell them apart?

If it helps, with a serial console attached, I see a failure on the
VS40X self test:

??  4  00D0  0007.0022

Which I interpret as a fatal chip select error.

Regards,
George