Subject: Re: Re: Terminal settings (which termcap entry to use)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <ogdenk@vacoxmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/01/2003 10:32:45

> From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
> Date: 2003/04/01 Tue AM 04:15:38 EST
> To: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
> CC: port-vax@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Terminal settings (which termcap entry to use)
>
> Hi,
>
> > I have WinXP telnetting to my VS running NetBSD (and PC running Linux)
> > using builtin telnet.exe. Upon telnetting the terminal type is set to
> > ansi but obviously WinXP and termcap disagree on their definitions of
> > "ansi" as bunch of stuff doesn't work correctly (scrolling up and doiwn
> > in joe, some control keys not working properly, etc.). At the time being
> > i set
> >
> > export TERM=vt100
> >
> > to be able to edit files at the very least but this way i lost some
> > functionality in other areas (bash history for example).
>
> Windows telnet is one of the worst programs of its kind anywhere, in my
> opinion. I'd recommend you get any of a number of free programs to replace
> it (TeraTerm, putty).
>
> John Klos
> Sixgirls Computing Labs

I think MicroSoft bastardized their CLI telnet app on purpose, it works well to connect to the useless Win32 telnet server in 2000 Server.  There was a better CLI telnet program I used with Win98 a couple years back that didn't completely suck but I forget who wrote it.  I don't have any Windows machines at home any more.

--Kevin