Subject: Re: NS638 RAM
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/24/2003 18:44:26
> I wonder what the practical limitation would be on the number of
> KA630s in such a system.  I've been doing a lot of assembler lately,
> and I have a large number of KA630s and I'm having very sick
> thoughts. :)

There are only two bits of ID, so at most four processors per Qbus.

Unless you're willing to live with just the on-board 1M, you will also
want memory boards, which call for CD-interconnect slots.  The most
Q/CD slots I know of occur in the BA123[%], with four, which would
limit you to two CPUs if each is to have at least one board of RAM.

If you're willing to go to the trouble of doing custom backplanes, you
could in principle do up a bunch more CD-interconnect slots and have
all four CPUs, each with some RAM.

I've got some ideas tumbling around about doing New and Different OS
stuff, and the KA630 is a strong candidate because I believe I really
understand it right down to this sort of level, which most of my
machinse I don't.  Two 9M KA630s in a BA123[%] could be a very nice
machine to play with this sort of stuff on.

[%] Do I have the BA numbers right?  I can't find any BAnnn marking on
    mine....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign