Subject: Re: NS638 RAM
To: None <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/24/2003 14:56:58
>>> I'm tempted to drag out another KA630 and set myself up with a
>>> two-CPU system with 9M each; perhaps someday I will....
>> Does this work?
>
> I don't recall specifically trying it, but I can't see any reason why it
> wouldn't.  I'll have to synthesize the ID jumpers to tell the second CPU
> it _is_ a second CPU, but that's all I expect to need.

The question, though, is how useful would it be.  The KA630 was designed
to support a multiprocessor system, ***EXCEPT*** that the multiple
processors do NOT share main memory.  They each have their own memory.
It will NOT support SMP or anything close.

One processor provides Qbus arbitration as normal, and the rest have
to be configured not to.

Eric