Subject: Re: Digital Drivers
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/23/2003 21:01:57
> Date: 24 Mar 2003 03:52:14 -0000
> From: wysoft@extremecode.org
> To: port-vax@netbsd.org
> Subject: Digital Drivers
>
> Is there anything "special" about Digital's SCSI drives? I have a RZ24L-e out
> of a 4000/VLC that I'd like to put into a Mac IIcx, but the Mac just doesn't
> see it. I'm using a patched Apple SC HD which successfully recognizes other
> non-Apple hard drives, but just not this one. No combination of ID settings
> seems to remedy this.

Can you tell whether the disk is spinning?  Most DEC drives of that
vintage require a "start unit" command from the SCSI controller.  A few
drives have a spinup jumper that can be changed, but most of them need
a change to an internal parameter page.

For more information Google 'dec rz24 spinup'

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst@ucsd.edu