Subject: Re: Deleting files
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/2003 18:42:03
Hi !

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> > Ah, i see... On my VAX, i really never had problems with "the usual stress",
> > including kinda "rm -fr pkgsrc". I just saw this problem on i386 with 1.5.2
> > when removing pkgsrc on 2 softdep-filesystems. As i didn't like the 1 hour RAID
> > rebuild and 2 hours fsck, i now do "cd pkgsrc;for i in *; do rm -fr $i; sync;
> > done" :)
>
> Why don't you just disable softdeps permanently and temporarily mount -u
> -o async the filesystem during the time you do metadata-heavy operations
> (like removing pkgsrc)?  It's as fast and probably a lot less risky than
> running with softdeps enabled (on vax).

As said, i don't have any problems. I'm not running the most stuff on VAXen
here, and in daily business, softdeps really improves performance for me. It
works so for years now, so why change it? If i know, what i shouldn't do, i can
live with this workaround.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX