Subject: Re: 3-RAM-board KA630 report
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Nigel Johnson <nw.johnson@ieee.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/11/2003 18:47:44
It gets worse.  I tried to have another go at it last night, and managed to
knock the power cord to the monitor, causing it to oscillate and
fail.  Now, does anyone know where to get a nice LCD monitor cheap?

The outcome was, that since I had a heating valve replaced in the ceiling
above the cupboard,  which broke one of the mirrored doors, which led to
new doors of a different size, there is no way I can get into the vax.

However, I do remember the situation that arose and the reason I though it
had worked:

I had a KA630 in a BA123.  It came with a four-connector cable, and, like a
fool, I just assumed that it would work with three memory boards. So I had
two four megs, an eight meg, and ran VMS with 16MB.  All went well for
several years.

When I found out about the NetBSD project, I first tried running it one the
same machine.  I can'y remember whether it found all 16 Megs, but it did run.

After accidentally destroying the vms drive, I stopped dual-booting and
converted an 11/73 to Vax use by taking one of the four meg boards from the
BA123 and putting it with a four meg spare, making 9 megs in the ba23 for
vms and leaving the four plus eight giving me thirteen in the BA123.

Now that I have figured out what I did, I am even more sure that I did get
three working, because I didn't know I couldn't!  However, unless the
building shifts, it is going to be a long time before I can get into the
VAX to help unlock its secret. Maybe the Titanic will yield its secrets
first.  I am doing an MSc. and my next course starts next Thursday, so I'm
afraid NetBSD is going to have to go onto the back burner for awhile.

Sorry I couldn't point to a smoking gun.

Regards

Nigel Johnson