Subject: Re: Observations on NetBSD VAX on old machines.....
To: None <Robertdkeys@aol.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/09/2003 13:41:23
On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 11:50:15PM -0500, Robertdkeys@aol.com wrote:
> FEATURE                  NBSD-1.4.3                        NBSD-1.6P
>
> 1. Boot time                54 s                                  195 s

Did you try rc_fast_and_loose=YES in /etc/rc.conf ?

> 2. Stripped MV23
>     kernel size              468823                              690504

UVM and UBC are larger, for example, but they have shown a real improvement
on low memory machines for me (despite the fact that the kernel is
larger).

> 3. Stripped MV23
>     kernel build time      3.8 h                                 6.5 h

gcc is also to blame here, gcc-2.95.3 needs much more RAM and CPU than
the 1.4 egcs used. Some work is supposed to have been done in gcc3 for this.

> 4. File i/o time 16mb    68 s                                  139 s
>                                   240941 b/s                         117777
> b/s

maybe the vm.* sysctls needs some tuning for low-memory machines.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>