Subject: Re: Observations on NetBSD VAX on old machines.....
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/09/2003 00:35:50
> I tried KA630 (MVII) board sets in the box, but things got so bad in
> terms of usable speed, as to be laughable.  [...]  A whole system
> build is approaching a forever time limit on such a machine.

For what it may be worth: I'm using an OS based on 1.4T (2000-02-19),
on a diskless KA630-based machine with maxed-out RAM (9M - that _is_
maxed-out for a KA630, right?).

For a build of the world (cd /usr/src; make build - what -current calls
"build.sh", loosely speaking), allow a week and at least three reboots.
(I don't know whether it's an OS bug or my hardware, but every once in
a long time something goes wrong and a block cached for a file gets
corrupted; this usually means cc1 coredumps.  The only sure fix I've
found is a reboot.  Someday I may try to track it down.)

Boot time is only a couple minutes, but this _is_ a pre-rc.d userland.

> The stripped kernel has only the MVII, MVIII cpus, one
> controller,FFS, DHV-11, loop and ptys.

INET?  INET6?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign