Subject: RE: VS2000 db50 external drive cable --- can old sun3 cable be used?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/05/2003 17:01:29
> From: "Antonio Carlini" <arcarlini@iee.org>
> To: <Robertdkeys@aol.com>
> Cc: <port-vax@netbsd.org>
> Subject: RE: VS2000 db50 external drive cable --- can old sun3 cable be used?
> Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 00:47:22 -0000
>
> > cable is a db50 based thing that connects the cpu with the
> > external drive.  I do not have the actual DEC cable, but I do
> > have a sun 3 cable that appears to be the same connectors and
> > probably the same basic 50 pin cable.  DOES ANYONE KNOW one
> > way or the other whether or not this sun 3 vme scsi  cable
> > can sub in a satisfactory manner for the DEC mfm external drive cable?
>
> All I can see from a quick browse of the UV/VS2K Tech Manual is
> that the cable you want is a BC17Y. I cannot find anything that
> documents exactly what the external pinouts are but I didn't look that
> hard.
> If you want to browse yourself, the manual is at:
>    http://208.190.133.201/decimages/moremanuals.htm
>
> It's probably a straight through cable, but I don't have
> one to look at myslef so I cannot say for sure!

What I myself would do is get a bit of 50-conductor flat ribbon cable,
the kind with twisted pairs almost everywhere except for a small
flat section every couple of feet.  Add to this two crimp-on DD50
connectors, and go.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst@ucsd.edu