Subject: Re: VERY slow ssh logins to uVAX
To: Charles H. Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/12/2003 11:50:21
this is way slower than it should be. ssh on a microvax will be slow,
but not THAT slow.
if its the first tim ever connecting, generating new keys will take some
time.. but on my KA650 (NetBSD 1.3.3, 16MB core, RF72 disk on a KFQSA
(which is itself the epitome of slowness!)) it took about 3 or 4
minutes to generate the key, and after that, ssh takes about 20-30 sec
and then its decent speed once connected. you can tell if you do something
that dumps a lot of output, that ssh is noticeably slower than a telnet,
but it is still quite usable.
youre using it as a console server? nice, thats exactly what i'm using
the machine i described for.. one CXY08 in it right now, and a second
going into it soon.. to serve (and log) the consoles of half a dozen
alphas and 4 or 5 sparcs. :-)
one final comment which just occurred to me now: the ssh i am running on
that machine is _not_ the openssh from the netbsd packages.. it is an
older ssh i compiled myself.

happy hacking,
isildur