Subject: Re: VERY slow ssh logins to uVAX
To: Charles H. Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/12/2003 06:29:29
Hello,

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Charles H. Dickman wrote:
> I have a KA650 processor in a BA23 chassis (MVIII?), that I want to use
> as a console server, because with a couple DHV11's, it has LOTS of
> serial ports. I am running a 1.5 kernel and logging in with ssh is VERY
> slow. From the remote ssh login, to a request for a password is close to
> 10 minutes. During the entire time, the load on the uVAX is 100%. After
> that, the ssh shell response is not noticably slow. Any suggestions? Or
> is this what I must expect from her?

Do you use onboard ssh in 1.5 (OpenSSH 2.5 or so i think)? If so, just build
and install the current openssl and openssh from pkgsrc. I had a similar
problem, never looked, why this is so, but on slower machines, even with
protocol 1, sshd from NetBSD distribution takes very long for handshaking. The
pkgsrc OpenSSH works.

If you don't want to build it, get the compiled packages, and if you want to
build them, remeber that openssl needs perl to build, so you have to build
perl, openssl and openssh, which could take several minutes (hours, days...)

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX