Subject: Re: VERY slow ssh logins to uVAX
To: Charles H. Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/11/2003 18:13:44
On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Charles H. Dickman wrote:

> I have a KA650 processor in a BA23 chassis (MVIII?), that I want to use
> as a console server, because with a couple DHV11's, it has LOTS of
> serial ports. I am running a 1.5 kernel and logging in with ssh is VERY
> slow. From the remote ssh login, to a request for a password is close to
> 10 minutes. During the entire time, the load on the uVAX is 100%. After
> that, the ssh shell response is not noticably slow. Any suggestions? Or
> is this what I must expect from her?

The KA650 is rated at 2.8 VUPs.  That's on the slow end of things, but
not much slower than my 3.5 VUP MicroVAX 3100/20e.  It takes a little
under 30 secs for me to get logged into it.  This is under NetBSD/vax
1.6, but I wouldn't expect there to be that much of a difference.

When connecting, is the load at 100% with the sshd process being the
most active one?  And as someone else mentioned, investigate it being an
issue with DNS.  I've had issues connecting to systems running sshd with
client systems that didn't have their IPs resolve to host names on the
server.  The connections eventually go though, but only after the
reverse DNS lookups timeout.  This can often end up taking a number of
minutes.  You might try adding a host entry for your client system in
/etc/hosts to see what happens.

-brian.