Subject: Re: CMD qbus scsi issues
To: None <Robertdkeys@aol.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/31/2003 17:44:50
On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 Robertdkeys@aol.com wrote:

> I have a cmd board coming in the mail, it things go well.  I will put it into
> an MVII or MVIII critter and try things again.  The board that I did the tests
> on was an SQ706 board.  That was a nice board.  I dunno how the cmd
> boards rate, but from what you are saying, they may be marginal.  Could
> it be a speed issue?  I have a webster controller for 4 esdi drives that just
> will not work right on anything but a slow speed MVII cpu.  A faster MVIII
> causes the controller to crash.  Someone said it was a timing issue in
> the controllers.  Dunno beyond that.

hmm, i dont know. Ive never had trouble from my CMD boards. I've run them
on the slowest uvaxII and on just about the fastest they come, a 4000/600,
and had no trouble from them and quite decent performance to boot. the
firmware is decently well-featured, and can do an appropriate amount of
mangling and reconfiguring of the disks that one can spend half an hour
of quality entertainment messing with it, and the cards seem to hold up
well in a not particularly well-maintained environment (my living room, where
temperatures can fluctuate and dust is never on short supply) even for
months on end. I use one currently in a uvax-3 box running netbsd 1.3.2,
and another in a uvax-3 running 4.3tahoe, and another in the 4k600
running 4.3-tahoe (but trying to port 1.3.something to it, after failing
to get reno to run properly on it). Ive never used one with vms, but
they work fine with ultrix 4.1.

> Do the cmd board work OK on Ultrix?

isildur