Subject: Re: uVAX 2000 and RD54
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/2003 09:32:04
> > hdc0: failed, status 0xb0
> > 0: 0
> > 1: 2
> > 2: 0
> > 3: 2
> > 4: 30
> > 5: 3a
> > 6: 2
> > 7: ff
> > 8: 4
> > 9: a2
> >
> > Can somebody interpret this info for me so I can find out which sectors
> > are bad?

One approach would be to use a binary search, or rather a variation of
the binary search, to find the bad sections of the disk.  It's a
somewhat tedious process, but if your alternative is to replace the disk
for a high price, it might not be so bad.

Write a label to the disk, partitioning into five or six equal sized
swap partitions.  Hammer away at each with /dev/zero; hopefully only a
few will have errors.  Note the sectors boundaries of the partitions
which have errors.  Relabel the disk, further subdividing those
partitions which contain bad sectors.  Hammer with /dev/zero at those
smaller partitions... repeat this process until you've identified enough
usable space for swap.  I'd imagine the first iteration is all you'd
really need.

-brian.