Subject: uVAX 2000 and RD54
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/2003 20:36:51
Greetings Vaxenfolk.

I have a uVAX 2000 with a genuine RD54 disk in it. Its obviously quite old
but it still works. I know it has some bad blocks on it, because the label
says so :)

But after running the builtin ROM formatter over it a few times, which I
assumed would populate the Replacement Block Table, I still get read/write
errors when dd'ing /dev/zero to it.

I am running NetBSD-1.5.3 which spews out the following info to the
console whenever it hits a bad block:

hdc0: failed, status 0xb0
0: 0
1: 2
2: 0
3: 2
4: 30
5: 3a
6: 2
7: ff
8: 4
9: a2

Can somebody interpret this info for me so I can find out which sectors
are bad?

All I really want to use the disk for is swap, so I need to find a
large contiguous good section of sectors.

Also, is anyone aware of a disk 'exerciser' ala norton disk doctor or
norton calibrate for unix?

ps. there is an RD54 (with VMS on it) for sale on ebay - US$150 !!
I didn't think pieces of junk were worth that much :)

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas
    System Administrator