Subject: Re: VAXstation 4000 90A TurboChannel Video Support
To: Dave Arthur <arthurdc@burridge.nscc.ns.ca>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2003 16:15:00
On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Dave Arthur wrote:

> I have a VAXstation 4000 90A, on which I have recently installed
> NetBSD 1.6. I would like it to perform mail server and web server
> duties...
>
> Since there is no support for the video card (Cougar SPX), I have
> removed it.
>
> Is this a correct assumption? Is there any hope that an X server may
> be available ?

If you want to run X applications on this system, you've only got one
option at this point-- you could get an X terminal or another X capable
system and remote display your VAX X clients to it.

I don't believe there's any hope of getting an X server running on the
SPX hardware any time soon, simply for the lack of technical
documentation available on the SPX hardware.  There's probably some
hope of getting X running on the mono framebuffers which are built
into the VAXstation 3100s, but that's been pending for... well a
couple of years now.  There's not a whole lot of developer-hours
available given the relatively small user community and the even
smaller developer community.

-brian.