Subject: Distributed.net client for VAX (finally!)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/2003 20:06:26
Hi, all,

Of course we can all have a discussion about the value of the
distributed.net projects, and about the relatively insignificant amount of
work that VAX can do, but that can be for another time.

One of the distributed.net coders is in the process of making a VAX
client. Why? Well, why not? VAX are cool, and you know what they say about
idle CPUs... Anyway, the OGR and RC5-72 cores are not optimised, so the
clients are even SLOWER than what a VAX is really capable of doing.

Is anyone interested in looking at the tight parts of the dnet cores for
optimisation in VAX assembly? In the past, doing it would seem to be
mostly academic, but if someone does it now, we can definitely get it into
an official dnet client.

The public parts of the code can be gotten here:
http://http.distributed.net/pub/dcti/source/pub-20021029.tar.gz

Anyone?

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs