Subject: Re: floating point?
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/16/2003 13:55:03
Hello,

> > LC_ALL=C ./temacs -batch -l loadup dump
> > [...blah...]
> > Illegal instruction - core dumped
> >
> > Do I need to use soft-float?
> >
> You need to make sure that you have not removed the NO_INSN_EMULATE option
> from your config file when you compiled the kernel.

I thought that the option was supposed to be commented out. Correct me if
I've got this wrong, but I thought that NO_INSN_EMULATE == do not emulate
insn, as the hardware has it. So it'd be defined (uncommented) for good
hardware (VAX cpus which have all the instructions), and undefined
(commented, missing) for CPUs which are missing those instructions.

So wouldn't it stand to reason that even if a CPU has the instructions,
that emulating them would still work? Or did you really mean "make sure
you did not remove the # from the NO_INSN_EMULATE line"?

I would just like to be clear - I'll be playing with trying to get ogg
vorbis libraries and tools working soon.

(BTW - http://www.lp.se/documents/vms-cpu.txt is missing. Anyone have a
copy?)

Thanks,
John Klos