Subject: Re: softdep (was floating point?)
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/16/2003 13:45:05
Hi,

> somebody (possibly you) posted something about that.. was it only on vax,
> only with softdeps, only on vax, or just in general? ive only recently
> broken my habit of never making a silesystem >2g.... it'd suck if they
> werent reliable.

Only on vax, and only tested on my 4000/60 (I don't own any other vaxen
(yet)).

I had a 9 gig drive with one big partition that ran fine for more than a
year; somewhere along the line, something broke, but I'm not sure where,
as I generally sup / cvs release and rebuild it once every few months.

Basically, I observe that partitioning, newfs'ing, mounting and using
generally works, but many times after use and reboot the partition appears
to be dirty, but it isn't always marked as such. A few times this caused a
kernel panic as the partition was mounted anyway, and a few times the
machine got stuck in single user mode... and so on.

I tried swapping drives, partitioning differently, not using softdeps, and
so on; as soon as I made the partitions on that drive less than 4 gigs,
everything started working perfectly.

I did that rather than tinker more because the bulk building had become
delayed a number of times due to starting and dying many times. So if
anyone wants to dig in and check this out, that'd be welcome.

After all, maybe I'll put in a 120 gig IDE drive and a SCSI-IDE adapter...

Thanks,
John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs